Saturday, 12 May 2012

a little about cargo cults

One of my readers asked if I could write more about cargo cults.

I don't have any personal experience with the John Frum cult on Tanna.  One of Bethany's friends is the daughter of a student who has been converted from the cult and has been working as a Pastor amongst his people.  So I'll try and have a chat or two to find out some more.

It will take me a little while to write something thoughtful about cargo cults.  For now, here are some links that give some basic information.

Wikipedia on cargo cults in general and John Frum in particular.

Other articles Tom has posted:

Flags and Stones - Jon Frum
Streams of Living Water
Can Goods Suffice?
Reflections on Darkenss; cargo cults in PNG

3 comments:

Lucy C said...

Thanks Rachael. I didn't realise they were real cults. I thought it was just a figure of speech. I am very ignorant. I'll have a read of your links.

Lucy C said...

Oh Rachael, I have misunderstood what cargo cults were all my life. I thought it was referring to a dependance on foreign aid. I did not realise at all that it was linked to spiritual elements. I've read some of the links but will have a proper read later when I have more time. Embarassed+++.

Rachael said...

I was very ignorant of everything in the Pacific before I came to Vanuatu. A terrible shame given our proximity.