Tuesday, 25 January 2011

pheasants in Faulconbridge?

This is a photo (albeit a very bad one) of a Ring-necked (or common) pheasant (Phasianus colchicus). We think.



They were introduced into Australia in 1864 as a game bird. Efforts to establish it have been largely unsuccessful and it is restricted to Tasmania, King Island (in Bass Strait) and Rottnest Island (WA). It's natural range is Russia but it is naturalised in Europe.

The interesting thing about this is that the photo was taken at my sister's house in Faulconbridge in the Blue Mountains, NSW. My sister first saw it just before Christmas and I saw it again yesterday (assuming it is the same individual).

What is it doing there?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Originally, escaping from terrorists in Russia, collapsing European economies and freezing winters, now holidaying from WA or Tassie?

Alison

Rachael said...

maybe escaping from christmas dinner!

Lucy C said...

It is an escaped aviary bird I'd say.

Rachael said...

Just from a private aviary?

Lucy C said...

Yep, I'd say so. I doubt there would be a 'wild' population. The Blue Mountains panther would get them!

Rachael said...

I was thinking "private aviary" as in a back-yard aviary in contrast to some sort of zoological park. I couldn't think of anything like that around here.

I wonder whose aviary? I suppose they'd like to know where it is!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea actually! But it's obviously "introduced" from somewhere. You could contact your local National Parks and Wildlife Service and see if they are aware that they're in the area? It could be someone's escaped pet I guess... the sort of bird certain enthusiasts would keep. I am not a fan of introduced wildlife (naturally) so you could have yourselves a late Christmas lunch! :)

Ali