Friday, 11 June 2010

Matthew and Laura

I commented earlier that Matthew (3) and Laura (4) were practically inseparable during the visit from the Dubbo cousins. They just seemed to get along so well; enjoying the same things, looking out for each other and talking non-stop.

I often hear people saying that children don't need to speak the same language to play together. I have decided, after watching these two, that while this is true, it has its limitations. Matthew often plays with children with whom he shares no common language. But being able to talk with Laura, to communicate in words, easily, opened a whole other world of play and friendship that I don't think he's experienced before. It was amazing.








2 comments:

Wayne said...

Great photos. Those two certainly had fun!

Erin said...

The early childhood teacher in me :), would say that when children can't communicate as freely then their play becomes less complex. (e.g. physical manipulation of objects as oppose to imaginative play).

I see it often in Australia with children who are ESL.

I'm assuming that as Matthew becomes more confident in Bislama that his play experiences will grow. It's lovely that he was able to build a relationship with his cousin so quickly.