Tuesday, 2 February 2010

sue-oop

When I was young, my Mum used to sing a little ditty about the days of the week and the meal for each day. I don't remember it all but there was Roast Lamb on one day followed by Shepherd's Pie the next. There was Fish, probably on Friday, and Sue-oop on another day.

To make life simpler for us, I have instituted as similar sort of regime in our household. Here's ours:









MondaySpaghetti Bolognaise
TuesdaySavoury Mince with African Yam
WednesdayBangers and Mash
ThursdayHamburgers
FridayTuna Casserole
SaturdayStew and Rice
SundayLeftovers



Boring?? There's room for variation from one week to the next. They're all meals the children eat without complaint (except stew). It takes the "what shall I make for dinner?" question right out of my day, and makes it even easier to prepare a shopping list. In fact, I'm wondering whether I could put a weekly order in to the store and have a box of goodies all made up for someone to pick up!

And I'm looking forward to trying some new "one-pot" recipes sometimes on stew night.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Great idea! I've been thinking about doing something similar - it would make things much simpler for me.

Lucy said...

Love your menu idea - I should do that too, especially now that I've got to get kids to bed early for school!

Also just wanted to let you know that I've given your blog address to a friend of mine who has just moved to Vanuatu to do missionary work - I'm sure she'll find your blog helpful. :)

Meredith said...

I started doing this six months ago - more to sort out our fussy eater...his behaviour at the dinner table and to get him used to a small and predictable variety of foods. It has helped him, made dinner time pleasant for us all and as you say, easy in terms of shopping and preparation.

Rachael said...

So far... after five days, everything has worked well and I'm all cleaned up in record time.

That's fine Lucy. Which island will she be living on?