Friday, 22 January 2010

a healthy concept of self: a pair of legs

I saw a great pair of legs last year.

They were the thighs I have always aspired to having. "That's them!" I thought, as they ran out of the surf, glistening in the sunshine.

And in the split second it took for those thoughts to flit through my mind, I felt sick. I almost vomited.

She was only eleven. And she was (and is) sick.

I suddenly realised how warped my sense of body image had become. Why should I, a thirty-four year old mother of three, want to have legs the shape of a sickly eleven-year old? What has gone wrong?

Spurned on by the recent discussion in the media about body image (which I commented on here), I have decided it's time to think seriously about this and to develop a healthy and biblical concept of self; not just the body, but the whole self, because
  • our bodies are only part of who we are and
  • how we think about our selves will impact how will think about our bodies.
And so I offer the above thoughts to show how deeply impacted I have been by what our culture portrays as desirable; and how unrealistic, and unhealthy, my expectations had become.

So please join me as I seek to teach, change and re-orient my thoughts and my eyes onto what is good.

5 comments:

allyson adeney said...

Hey Rach,
I just started reading Tim Keller's Counterfeit Gods, and it has some really helpful and thought provoking things to say about body image.
I am keen to read along with you on this one.
This issue needs to have some really careful thinking.
Thanks for this in advance.
Ally <'v'>

Rachael said...

Hi Ally, it sounds like it would be good to read Counterfeit Gods.

Iook forward to more of your thoughts, too

love,
Rachael.

Simone R. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simone R. said...

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on this.

Great opening story.

Rachael said...

Hi Simone, I'm beginning to wonder if I bit off more than I can chew!! I'm hoping for lots of help>