Tuesday, 10 November 2009

greed, greed, greed...

Next month I'll be writing the posts for Equip Book Club as we read trough Brian Rosner's "Beyond Greed". Before we start, I'm wondering if you'd be happy comment on where you think we struggle with greed as a society and as individuals.
  • How have you seen greed at work in your own life?
  • What have you done to overcome it? 
  • How do you think it affects our society?
  • What are ways forward as a society?
Feel free to make other comments, and to comment anonymously!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey Rachael,
I haven't read the book, but I'd like to.
I'm interested as to whether it addresses any difference between greed and gluttony?
I for one have difficulty with gluttony and food (in fact I think it's an unspoken of women's issue) and find church events often places where I'm badly tempted to overeat...
And by the way, you and Glen are my inspiration for the non-greedy way that you have always lived.
much love
Michelle
x

Rachael said...

Hi Michelle,

Basically the book is an extended reflection on "greed, which is idolatory" and speaks of greed as wanting more... money and possessions. It doesn't address the issue of gluttony (maybe briefly but I don't remember). Might be worth raising in discussion!!

Have you read "How to get really rich"? It's the first edition. Beyond Greed is the same thing with some briefing articles thrown in for good measure.

Thanks for your encouragement. It's definitely more challenging living here...