Monday, 14 September 2009

The Guersney Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Scaffer and Annie Barrows is a delightful book. I practically read it from cover to cover in one sitting; actually in one lying... as I was curled up in bed at the time.

Juliet Ashton is a young, beautiful and clever writer.  During the war (WWII) she wrote a light hearted column to help keep up morale.  Now the war is over and she is looking for something to do.  A letter sent from the new owner of an old book of hers begins a correspondence with some colourful characters from Guernsey, (one of the channel islands that was occupied during the war) and ends up changing her life.

The novel, written in a series of letters, is a moving portrayal of life in another time and place and contrasts the both the dignity and barbarity of man.   I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

Bron said...

Sounds like a good read. I I'd like to read it.

Rachael said...

You'll love it.

Meredith said...

This has been the lone piece of fiction I have read this year and I LOVED it. In fact, I felt a little bit sad as I handed this book back to its owner earlier this week. Felt like I lost a new friend. It certainly is a great read.

Rachael said...

Thanks, Meredith. Even more sad was knowing there'll be no sequels.