Sunday, 23 August 2009

us? missionaries?

Sophie has been reading a biography of Mary Slessor. Mary worked in the cotton mills in Scotland as a young girl to support her family. She used to hear about David Livingstone, also a Scot, who had become a missionary in Africa and she would dream of doing the same.

My Sophie now thinks of Old "Ma" Slessor who worked for many years in Calabar in West Africa sharing the gospel and the love of Christ and now she dreams of doing the same.

One evening we were chatting before bed and she was telling me about how Mary would rescue the babies that had been left out to die from exposure. She said she wants to be a missionary when she grows up.

After a while I said, "Do you know that we are missionaries?"

She said, "What? Us? Missionaries? I don't believe you."

Hmmm...

2 comments:

Erin said...

:), I guess she sees missionaries as doing something exotic and different, and living at a Bible collage in the pacific is neither (well, to her at least)

Rachael said...

Yes, I don't think our lives are quite the same as David Livingstone's or Mary Slessor's. I do hope that as she gets older she'll see some things are the same...