Wednesday, 8 July 2009

a mother's love

The other day Sophie was unwell and lying in bed. As I tended to her I was overwhelmed with love for her. I think, I thought and my face flushed with guilt, that I love her the most of all my children.

Later, music was playing and Matthew took my hands and said, "Let's dance, Mum". As we danced I was overwhelmed with love for him. I think, I thought, that I love him the most. And I felt guilty.

When Bethany came home, she ran inside, flung her arms around my neck and hugged me. I was overwhelmed with love for her and thought, I love her so much I must love her more than the others.

And then I laughed. All of these feelings in one day.

I love all of them the most!

3 comments:

Christopher said...

You're beautiful and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

xxx
Your brother

Anonymous said...

I too, have had this strange experience of loving each child more that the others. It just took me quite a bit longer to realise that this "child I loved the most" kept changing, according with whoever was on my lap at the time.

Mum

Ally said...

I so get this.
Have had the same days.
I also remember wondering , before the birth of our second child, how I could love another child as much as the one I had.
This wondering, however, never returned.
Love ya Rach. Ally <'v'>