Thursday, 11 June 2009

why I love secret seven

'I see,' said his father. 'Well, that's the end of the Secret Society for you, George. If I'm going to have you hauled home by a member of the public, accusing you of following some harmless old fellow, and carrying a truncheon, and with your face blacked, well, all I can say is that the Secret Society is leading you into bad ways.'

'I agree,' said his mother. 'He mustn't belong any more.'

George looked at his parents in the utmost dismay. 'But Dad! Mother! You don't understand. I couldn't possibly not belong to the Secret Seven. They wouldn't let me go. I must belong!'

'That's enough, George,' said his father, curtly. 'You know I won't be argued with. Go and wash that black off your face, and tell this Secret Society of yours tomorrow that you no longer belong. Do you hear me?'

'Yes, Dad,' said George, shocked and miserable. He said good night in a low voice, gave the young man a fearful scowl, and went out of the room.

(from Go Ahead Secret Seven, by Enid Blyton)
Following this, George indeed gives his resignation to the society and even defends his father when the others accuse him of being horrid. It is this general obedience and respect of parents that I really appreciated, and was displayed a number of times thoughout the book.

It makes a change from heroes that generally dispise their parents (or teachers) and disobey them at will. Children that do obey are portrayed as 'goody-two-shoes' and generally, if worth admiring, come around by the end of the book to the view that it's better to do what your friends are doing than to obey.

I know secret seven has its faults, and George's obedience definitely wasn't what we'd call cheerful obedience from the heart, but I'm much happier with Sophie reading this than many of the other books that have come our way. She's still young enough that the heroes in her books need also to be positive role models.

1 comment:

Hannah Blake said...

And they're just great books!!