Tuesday, 9 June 2009

flip-flopping around

These are the shoes my daughters have been flip-flopping around in since the day we went to Tangoa.


Thongs (flip-flops, jandals) are normal footwear here. Only, my girls are ALWAYS losing theirs. If not both, one will be left somewhere else. Glen and I decided that we would not keep on buying new pairs for them and set a limit of one new pair a month (which sounds incredibly generous to me).


This means that they had been going bare-foot for a while, but last Wednesday, faced with a long walk on a rocky road, I could not let them walk it bare-foot. I sent them all around campus looking for their thongs, but to no avail.


So I made some. I cut down an old pair of mine for Bethany and an old pair of Glen’s for Sophie. We put elastic around the back to stop them falling off. They worked surprisingly well.


And my daughters have had the character-building experience this last week of being laughed at where-ever they go. Not surprisingly, this footwear, being not only distinctive but also highly undesirable, keeps being returned! They can’t lose these ones!


Also not surprisingly, both girls found their old thongs yesterday, and were terribly excited about them. I don’t think they’re going to lose them in a hurry this time.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Classic!

Raeline said...

So cute Rachael and what a lesson!