Saturday, 2 May 2009

our families (2)

In my quest to answer the question I asked here, I have begun reading a this little book by John Piper which is basically an expanded chapter from the book, Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. I found as I was browsing through, at the end, a closing challenge to men and women. Point 10 relates to men and women as fathers and mothers. This is what he says to women,
That, if you have children, you accept responsibility with your husband (or alone if necessary) to raise up children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord- children who hope in the triumph of God- sharing with your husband the teaching and discipline they need, and giving them the special attachment they crave from you, as well as that special nurturing touch and care that you alone are fitted to give.

And to men,
That, if you have children, you accept primary responsibility, in partnership with your wife (or as a single parent), to raise up children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord- children who hope in the triumph of God; that you establish a pattern of teaching and discipline that is not solely dependent on the church or school to impart Bible knowledge and spiritual values to the children; and that you give your children the time and attention and affection that communicates the true nature of our Father in Heaven.

I suspect much of the answer to my question will be to do with
  • the nature of womanhood as opposed to personhood
  • the nature of God as Father
  • and simply, biology (or the way we have been created)
I also hope to listen a talk by Lesley Ramsay "The Essential Mum" (avaiable here) which Alison recommendend here.

1 comment:

Hannah Blake said...

How have you found that book? Someone else recommended to me but when I looked for it online I could only find the study guide. Is that the one you're reading? Is it a stand-alone book or do you need to read it in conjunction with something else?