Monday, 27 April 2009

our families

You will know that in first term of school this year, we worked through a unit on the 9 values for Australian schooling. I posted about them here and here*. 

This term we're working through a unit on families. This makes me panic a little as I have no confidence whatever in what the material will hold.

One of the additional reading books for Sophie was "A Mum named Dad". Of course, like you, in my fear and paranoia, I jumped to the worst possibile conclusions. Actually the book was about a girl whose mother had died and whose Dad was both mother and father to her. The conclusion was that all mothers are different and they all do different things.  We can't define motherhood.

Which made me think about what scripture actually teaches about being a mother and father. I've though a lot about what scripture teaches about wives and husbands but not much about mothers and fathers. I don't mean just being a female parent. What does it teach about me being a wise and loving mother as opposed to a wise and loving parent?

I really would like to know what you think. What is the difference between a mother and a father? Are the roles interchangeable or not? What are your experiences and what does scripture teach?



*A dear friend sent me some material from Parenting with Scripture by Kara Durbin which worked through the same or similar values as was in the list but based in scripture. It was really helpful. My friend photocopied the relevant pages and I expect the book would contain a lot more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachael,

Did you ever hear the Equip 07 talk by Lesley Ramsay on 'The Essential Mum" - it co-incided with Mothers Day that year! It was a bit controversial for some women, but grew out of Lesley's reading of Christopher Ash's "Marriage: Sex in the Service of God". You can get it on MP3 from Matthias Media.

Love,
Alison

Anonymous said...

Hi Rach,
I was reading a blog tonight and came across these lists that may be helpful in your thinking through what the bible says about motherhood and womanhood:
//makinghome.blogspot.com/2009/01/biblical-descriptions-of-mothers.html
and
http://makinghome.blogspot.com/2009/01/biblical-descriptions-of-women.html.

Hope you can link to these.

Also Sally Clarkson's books "Mission of motherhood" and "Ministry of motherhood" would be worth a read (I think you have read one of them already).

I'll be interested to hear what you discover....

Love
Julie