Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Singenpoo

The Many Adventures of Singenpoo by Paul Jennings is one of our family favourites.

This book contains all four Singenpoo stories in one volume. Singenpoo is a cat, named after swallowing a small radio that continued to play music while on the inside and then even after having passed through. Scott is the boy, in his teens, who takes an after school job at Major Mac’s chicken take-away shop and befriends the cat, Singenpoo, who hasn’t been doing such a good job at catching mice. The books tell of the adventures they have as Scott learns that Singenpoo is in fact quite a remarkable cat.

This is what our copy looks like now:

Matthew, when he was still only one, would take it to bed everyday, look through it page by page and then eventually fall asleep cuddled up to it. Not surprisingly, after a while, it fell apart. I have done my best job at putting it back together, including a new cover. I know I could've prevente this, after all, I didn't have to let him take it to bed with him... but aren't we supposed to encourage a love of books in our children?

So, Matthew loves it. Bethany loves having it read to her and Sophie loves reading it. There's not so much text on each page as to frighten beginning readers. Purrrfect!

The illustrations by Keith McEwan are fantastic. On every page, they are colourful, spunky and full of life as they draw you into the action. It is the pictures that amuse Matthew and he really will sit for hours turning pages and exclaiming at the pictures.

The girls also exclaim at some of the twists in the stories, which are definitely not for the more prim and proper amoung us. A great book for boys! I think Matthew will enjoy it for many more years to come.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Great to see a book that has been so well loved! Nice repair job too. I'd rather have tatty children's books that are loved than beautiful books that are rarely read.

Lisa said...

Hi : ) My name is Lisa Maxfield and I live in North Carolina, USA. I am writing because my husband and I are looking into Vanautu Adoption.
I personally have been there 4 times before, and me and My husband both lived there in 2007 for 4 months doing mission work with Youth With A Mission in Port Vila. My brother, Tony D'Alessandro, has lived in Port Vila for the past 11 years, which is how I first came to know and love the country and the Ni-Vanuatu people. He has lived in Santo as well, YWAM has a base there now.
My husband and I recently found out that we cannot have children. We have had the heart to adopt years before we got this news, so now its a matter of finding out all the nuts and bolts of where to even begin. So by google searching Vanuatu adoption, we stumbled upon your blog, I hope you dont mind:)

We just dont really know where to start and figured maybe you could give us any info you have at least to get us going.My email address is:
islanddreamer04@hotmail.com

Thank You so much for your time,
Lisa and Matthew Maxfield