Wednesday, 18 March 2009

my pumpkin

It's just a pumpkin seedling, but I'm growing quite fond of this one.

A few days ago it lay naked and bare upon the earth, roots exposed.  There was no sign that chooks, the usual culprits, had been in the garden.  What had happened?

Then I saw.  It was entangled in a vine.  The vine had wrapped its feelers around my seedling, and slowly, but steadily, pulled my pumpkin from the ground as it crept insidiously across the garden.

Tenderly I unwound its feelers from my pumpkin.  Then I wrenched it from the ground and throw it out of the garden, to be burned.  I dug the ground, replanted my seedling, gently pushing the earth around it, covering it.  I watered it and spoke tenderly to it.

Beware the vine, my pumpkin, beware the vine!

It's not very big yet, but it's producing new growth.  One day, there will be fruit.

"...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." (Hebrews 12:1)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Rachael - a timely reminder!

Alison