Wednesday, 10 December 2008

when sinners say I do

If you've read this post, you will be aware that I don't read theological books very well.  I am only marginally better at reading pastoral books and earlier this year I read only the first few chapters of When Sinners Say I Do by Dave Harvey.

Can I say that what I read there was incredibly liberating? If I never read the rest of the book, it was worth whatever we paid for it.

What was so liberating? This was: I married a sinner. Yes, believe it or not, Glen is a sinner. Can you believe it? Or can you believe I never worked that out before?

I knew it theoretically but the practical implications had never dawned on me.

This has totally revolutionised tension and conflict for me. When he says something that hurts, or he is being, well, a little wee bit selfish, I think to myself, 'yep, he's a sinner', smile to myself, pray for him, remind myself that I'm a sinner too and ask God to help us work things out. Before, I just used to feel confused and angry.

I really think I should read the rest of that book.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What sort of father am i to have let my daughter marry a sinner!


Dad

Raeline said...

Reading the comments may be as good as reading the book! Love Mum

Anonymous said...

Glen said:
I bought it (the book) for Rachael so I wouldn't have to change.

Nicole said...

Hi Rachael,

I found the first two or three chapters of this book similarly helpful. It helped me see that I had a habit of being very unforgiving of Dave's sinfulness, while expecting him to be very understanding of mine.

I did have some questions about some of the content of the later chapters though, so maybe you should read the rest of the book so I can hear your thoughts about those!

Jean said...

Great post, I'll be linking to that sometime! An insight which comforts me daily - and my husband too, I hope! :)

Rachael said...

Nicole, I think you've managed to raise my curiosity. Now I'll have to finish it.

Hi Jean. Funny how it's a comfort, isn't it? Should it comfort or disturb us, do you think?