Monday, 1 September 2008

Sophie writes

Here's Sophie writing about the wedding we went to last Friday.

Note the "bislama-isms" in the way she puts her sentences (actually, her one sentence) together. When native Bislama-speakers speak, there is a lot of what an English-speaker thinks of as repetition. Hence, she says, "now I am going to tell you who the bride is" and then "the bride's name is Astelle". Bislama speakers will also often say one thing and then say the opposite is not true. For example, "There were just a few people there; there weren't a lot of people there".

4 comments:

Therese said...

Where is what Sophie wrote?

Nicole said...

I LOVE the veil in her picture. Actually, I loved the whole thing. You are obviously teaching her well...

Hannah Blake said...

That's fantastic! Well done to Sophie- I'm so impressed that she wrote that on her own! I just finished three weeks of prac with a year 1 class, and I don't think any of them would have been able to write that! Really good handwriting as well.

I love hearing what you guys are doing in school!

Therese said...

I can see it now - thanks...it's great!!