Our jungle cake was inspired by this amazing cake that Jean made.
We made the following modifications to accommodate gluten intolerance, a diet free from preservatives and artificial colours and flavours, and what we can get in Luganville (definitely not ready made icing).
- our leaves are real leaves, not icing;
- the only icing sugar available in town at the moment is ready-mix chocolate, so our jungle is more woody than leafy;
- we used snickers bars not flakes (snickersseem to be basically gluten-free- they have glucose syrup derived from wheat, but it is so refined that there is practically no gluten- and they were on special);
- we used lolly animals (natural flavours and colours);
- and we made sponge cakes (egg, sugar, cornflour, baking powder and bicarb soda!).
Verdict: delicious! And much better than the snickers coated in icing sugar that the Dads suggested!