Saturday, 27 September 2008

blind chick

I mentioned in this post that the chick concerned died the next day.

The day after there was another dead chick by our verandah.

Today we found a third dead chick while we were gardening.

Starting to panic about bird flu?? I must admit it crossed my mind! The truth, however, is not so sensational. It is interesting though.

There is a wild yam growing this time of year, which, if the chicks eat it, sends them blind. And, being blind, they cannot eat. They basically starve to death. Having witnessed a few of the sick chicks, I suspect the yam may have other effects as well.

The chick we nursed back to health also died while we were away on this weekend. It's all a little bit sad.

1 comment:

Raeline said...

Dear Rachael,

I am relieved to hear that it is not bird flu. Yes,
very sad that the kids pet chick died also.

Love Mum (Raeline)