Saturday, 23 August 2008

Which Flower is this? (17)

Well I have given up on the library and so far haven't had good enough internet for months to purchase online, so now I will proceed with "which flower is this?" anyway. I don't know much about tropical flowers and I have no books to help me (so there won't be much in the way of names... any help is very welcome!), but let's have some fun...

I chose this flower because I mentioned it in my very last which flower is this?. It is a Hibiscus, but it has many many more petals than the usual five-petalled shape which you can see here. I first thought there were many layers of petals, but on closer inspection, it is actually many flowers bunched together, a bit like an arrangement on a stick. This means that there are as many of the reproductive parts (the stigma, style and anthers) as there are flowers, and interestingly, not one of these is as large and pronounced as in the more usual hibiscus.


This one is growing outside my friend, Linda Vutilolo's house. Linda is Joshua's Mum.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I must look more closely at the double hibiscus when I see one next! Did not realise that they were "many flowers bunched together".
Love Mum