Monday, 28 July 2008

the God of all Comfort

I went to bed last night feeling very down. I had just prayed. As I prayed I felt that God was far away. I felt that he wasn't interested in my prayers and even if he was, he wouldn't be his will to do what I was asking him to. I felt very small and that my faith was even smaller. This would have been a good time to talk to myself rather than listen to myself but I didn't and I despaired that I would ever be worthy of the name I bear (the name of missionary let alone the name of Christ).

This morning I read these words...
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Compassion and the God of all Comfort..." (2 Corinthians 1:3)


...and I was comforted. He is the Father of Compassion and He does care. How kind he is that even when I was wallowing in self-pity He reached out and helped.

I recognise the misunderstanding of the role of faith in prayer inherent in my thinking above. I heard someone talk at length yesterday from James 5 about the power of prayer resting in our faith, so it is little wonder my thoughts ran in that direction.

Also the "talk to myself rather than listen to myself" is a quote I have read somewhere recently, but I can't remember where.

Found it! It's a quote from Martin Lloyd-Jones that Jean posted, here. Thanks to the commenter below!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have read it on Jean's blog 'In All Honesty'?

Rachael said...

Yes I think it probably was. I did scan her blog to try and find it but didn't see it. I'll have another look.